Friday, August 27, 2010

The Oatmeal Cream Pie that Started it All

The first time I remember being a food monomaniac it was the Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie. Something about the crinkle of the plastic wrappers, the moist chewy cookie, the fluffy snow white icing... I had to have them. Like, for every single meal.

Image Copyright Emily Carlin

Because I had intelligent and loving parents, I was not allowed to eat them for every single meal. But suffice to to say that my mom basically couldn't buy them as fast as I could eat them.

You might think that I would grow out of this culinary monomania--this desire to obsessively eat exclusively one food. At least until I tire of it. You would be wrong. This eating habit has carried on through my childhood and adolescence into my adult life.

So, follow me as I become periodically, unexplainably obsessed with one food after another.

1 comment:

  1. I remember being the same way about OJ, of all things. I suppose I still am today, we can't keep a gallon of the stuff for more than a few days, and that's with my self-control and an attempt to share.

    Then there was sweet-and-sour chicken, which eventually grew into the cashew chicken that I eat daily when I visit Ozark.

    I loved these oatmeal cookies, perhaps not as much as you, but to some extent. While I certainly grown out of that desire, their taste still brings back memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete